Wear Me Out

Last week was Real Nappy Week (fortnight), and this week it's European Babywearing Week, which is another baby-related thing that I'm totally here for. In fact, I'm currently wearing Spud while I type this blog! Their tag-line this year is 'The Joy of Babywearing', and it does bring me so much joy to have my little lady snuggled in close to my heart; within kissing distance whenever the urge takes me!

Wearing Spud on a family day out
Wearing babies, in wraps, scarves, or carriers, has been a thing for as long as there have been babies, but, maybe it's just the fact that I have one now (a baby), it seems to have gained in exposure and popularity in recent years.

The benefits speak for themselves: helps with hip development by keeping bubbas legs in the correct 'frog' position; helps calm babies when they're crying, especially during the fourth trimester as they're trying to come to terms with this big, scary outside world; keeps momma's hands free to type and drink coffee; and, apparently, carried babies cry 43% less than non-worn weans. And I'm all about the crying less, especially as Spud is a complete crankypants, and I genuinely don't think I'd be able to cope if she cried 43% more.

I have a gorgeous wrap from Freerider Range, which I adore, but for the day-to-day T and I both have cheap stretchy wraps from Amazon, which cost a fraction of the price of some of the fancy-schmancy carriers that have buckles, belts, and bells attached. I get the appeal of the convenience of these types of baby carriers, but I love that the wraps literally wrap around Spud and I - they conform to our bodies, and don't feel bulky or obstructive. We may have to move to a more structured carrier as she gets bigger, but even then I think I'll choose something softer and less clippy.

Wandering around London with Spud
We do still have a pram, but we actually rarely use it as the sling is so much more convenient - whether we're popping to the shops or heading off for the day, we have both hands free, don't need to worry about steps, stairs, or knocking into displays, can navigate different terrain, and can wander around museums or attractions without steering a small tank.

I pop the wrap on in the morning as I'm getting dressed, and can then go about my day - with or without Spud occupying the sling. It's definitely one of the things I'm most glad we got for the baby, and I hope that we can continue to baby-wear for as long as she'll let us.

Babies are this season's coolest 'wearable', doncha know!


Comments

Popular Posts