Surprise Midwife


Well, that was unexpected – a Midwife just rocked up on my doorstep!

I knew we had a home visit the day after being discharged from the hospital, but I wasn’t expecting it today, with it being a Sunday so it took me by surprise! She explained that they do weekend visits when there have been complications with the birth and they make an exception in these cases.

She checked Spud over from head to toe, and advised that she was slightly bow-legged, so to play with her feet and gently massage them outwards while feeding; the umbilical cord stump is fine, and there’s no sign of nappy rash. I was questioned on toilet habits for both of us, and we were each declared okay. My stomach was prodded and stitches were checked (as I had an episiotomy during delivery) and all seems good. Spud has a touch of jaundice, but she did in the hospital and was tested three times – each time it came back lower than the treatable limit and it’s definitely got better since then, so I think she just has olive-yellow tones to her skin, like her daddy.

I have one more appointment with a midwife later in the week, and that’s my discharge appointment, so I have to start thinking of questions to ask as it’ll be my final official opportunity!

What questions did you ask your midwife at the final visit?

Comments

Popular Posts